Pages

Wednesday 2 January 2013

Entry No 14

I prepared a collage, not a photomontage, as follows:
 
I joined two sheets of A2 white thin cards together using glue/masking tape.  To make the poster firmer, I covered the back by thicker card that I got from unwanted pizza boxes, to be eco-friendly in my work. 
 
In the middle of my poster I stuck a message connected to the tragedy.  I did not invent the message myself.  Instead, I used the newspaper headline that appeared at the end of the film “Romeo and Juliet” – the 1996 version.  It said, “Civil blood makes civil hands unclean”.  I found the picture of this headline on the internet.
Then I stuck all the other pictures.  The pictures that I stuck below and to the right side of the message relate to the 1996 film, whereas those that I stuck on top of the message and to the left side of the poster relate to the 1968 film.
I left the four corners of the poster blank with the intention of sticking a painted drawing of the four main characters – Leonard Whiting and Leonardo DiCaprio as Romeo, and Olivia Hussey and Claire Danes as Juliet – in each corner, all of them holding a weapon.  However, after I drew Leonard Whiting with a sword in his hand and Claire Danes holding a gun to her head, I decided not to carry on with these drawings because I realized that they were going to be too eye-catching and most probably that would spoil the idea of transformation.

Therefore I decided not to stick anything on the corners of my poster.  However, the white colour of the card that was showing on the poster did not seem appropriate so I used wet teabags to give it a darker tone (after testing on two strips of white cards using watercolours and teabags to check which one was better to use). 

No comments:

Post a Comment